Today’s bible study consists of an interesting set of verses. John 15:1-5
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”
As our small group discussed the implications based on this passage, we started off discussing what the differences between a friend and an acquaintance were. To be expected, and as per usual, the question was left hanging in awkward silence for a couple moments. Finally, to be broken by an interjection, “the differences between a friend and an acquaintance are that you love, accept, have healthy boundaries, and promote mutual growth”. Friends are people you turn to in times of need, for comfort and support. They are the ones you share your joys with, share your sorrows. Friends are those select few who are deemed worthy of your trust.
To the previously stated, I agree. However, there is a fine line between friends and non-friends. In this day and age, where the definition of “friend” is becoming ever so convoluted, true friends are hard to come by and must be valued. Oftentimes, we turn to the wrong person for advice and are rewarded with the realization that it is neither good advice nor what a Godly person should do. In the worst case scenario, that person whom we turned to for comfort, turns out to be an acquaintance and lets us down. In the end, we are left with a broken spirit and find ourselves further from God’s grace.
We touched on verse 2, “He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit…”. I took it as meaning we should keep our friends a selective group. A group reserved for those who truly care, a group who can provide guidance and support both your day-to-day and spiritual life. The meaning of “fruit” appears to be synonymous with spiritual strength. Thus, those who do not contribute to your spiritual growth, we should encourage their relationship with God, while realizing they are not true friends in a God-centered relationship.
The next verse says “You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.” For some strange reason I was reminded of vineyard keepers who sing to their grapes but that is a different thought process. This reminded me of one overarching theme in the Bible: Jesus died for our sins and thus has cleansed us of our sins; Jesus being the Word. We are his children and we are saved; so long as we believe that Jesus died for our sins and is our Lord and Savior.
Finally, the last important point, in my opinion, was the latter portion of the passage. “Remain in me” this stood out as meaning that we should place God as our priority. We should keep God in our thoughts when not actively surrounded with spiritual settings such as the church. Without Jesus, we are nothing. As the last verse states, “apart from me you can do nothing”.
To take from this passage, I find myself truly questioning who my friends are and whether they are God-centered relationships. It is easy to spend time with people, breaking bread, sharing conversation, and playing starcraft, without sharing God. I myself, become preoccupied and find it unsettling how effortlessly we can forget about our faith.
There is more but it is 4 am. Part II coming up soon.
There is more but it is 4 am. Part II coming up soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.